Biodiesel, definition of
Biodiesel is an alternative fuel produced from renewable resources such
as plant oils, animal fats, used cooking oil, and new sources such as
algae. Biodiesel contains no petroleum, but can be combined in any
quantity with petroleum diesel to create a biodiesel blend. Biodiesel
blends can be used in most "compression-ignition" (diesel) engines with
little or no modifications. Biodiesel is simple to use, biodegradable,
nontoxic, and essentially free of sulfur and aromatics (the "diesel"
odor). (Biodiesel is not raw vegetable oil.)
EcoWho Articles where 'Biodiesel' used:News & Blog articles where 'Biodiesel' used:
Search the Web for Biodiesel
- Scientists reveal new technique to make biofuel from mushroom waste
Researchers at the National University of Singapore have discovered a revolutionary way to transform mushroom waste into biofuel. Despite claims to the contrary, biofuel — typically derived from food crops — is often more environmentally-destructive...
- 6 big-name musicians and bands who are helping to protect the planet
Musicians have sung about environmental stewardship and preservation forever. Think about Woodstock back in the 70's and now the more recent Bonnaroo festival held in Tennessee every summer. Amount of garbage at music festivals aside, which happens any...
- Looking for an Eco-Friendly Way to Fuel Your Car? Make Your Own Biodiesel!
Gas prices continue to rise, and things are not getting better as far as oil resources are concerned. Fracking, deep-sea drilling, and massive spills are all wreaking havoc on the planet, and all that mess is a short-term solution anyway—crude oil is...
- Boeing Introduces New Biofuel that Costs Just $3 per Gallon
Boeing is working with the United Arab Emirates to make some serious breakthroughs in sustainable aviation biofuel development. The Sustainable Bioenergy Research Consortium (SBRC), affiliated with the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology in Abu...
- The SeaOrbiter: Futuristic Marine Research Vessel Launches CrowdFunding Campaign
A few years ago, there were rumors that a futuristic oceanographic marine vessel would be constructed with the sole aim of exploring the world's oceans. Known as The SeaOrbiter, it would serve as a scientific laboratory as scientists explore the places...
- Inhabitat Test-Drives the New BMW 328D Diesel Wagon
When BMW first approached me about test-driving their brand new clean diesel wagon, the 328D, my first response was “huh?” My only experience with diesel up until this point was getting stuck behind black-smoke-belching diesel 18 wheelers on the highway,
- Inhabitat Test-Drives the New BMW 328D Diesel Sedan
When BMW first approached me about test-driving their brand new clean diesel sedan, the 328D, my first response was “huh?” My only experience with diesel up until this point was getting stuck behind black-smoke-belching diesel 18 wheelers on the highway,
- Bioengineered E.coli Bacteria Poops Out Petroleum
Image via Shutterstock The last few years have shown that whether it be gold or battery power, bacteria can "poop out" some mighty useful—and valuable—stuff...
- America’s Top 10 Greenest Universities of 2013
10. University of California, Santa Barbara Forty-four of the buildings on campus at UC Santa Barbara are LEED certified and 47% of academic departments offer a class about sustainability, totaling 321 classes, with 217 faculty members who do eco-research.
- Brazil’s World Cup Buses to Run on Recycled Cooking Oil Biofuel
Brazil is preparing to host the World Cup next year, but the nation won't only be showing off its soccer skills. The world's largest producer of biodiesel also plans to provide green transportation for visiting teams by powering buses with a biofuel blend
What is Biodiesel?
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.