carbon cycle, definition of
- Carbon Cycle
All parts (reservoirs) and fluxes of carbon. The cycle is usually thought of as four main reservoirs of carbon interconnected by pathways of exchange. The reservoirs are the atmosphere, terrestrial biosphere (usually includes freshwater systems), oceans, and sediments (includes fossil fuels). The annual movements of carbon, the carbon exchanges between reservoirs, occur because of various chemical, physical, geological, and biological processes. The ocean contains the largest pool of carbon near the surface of the Earth, but most of that pool is not involved with rapid exchange with the atmosphere.
EcoWho Articles where 'carbon cycle' used:EcoWho blog posts where 'carbon cycle' used:
News & Blog articles where 'carbon cycle' used:
- Straw man science: keeping climate simple; watch the pea..
The conversation has just published a rather incorrect article claiming that none of the human produced Co2 is absorbed by the natural Co2 cycle, we blow it out the water.
- Methane from waste food an environmental problem?
We look at whether methane from waste food is a real problem in our environment.
- BOM 'predicts' a hot Summer in Australia
BOM have just announced that due to a three day 'heat wave' we are due a hot Summer...
- Ballarat museum scaring children with biasless climate propaganda
Caring about the environment is one thing, deliberately setting out to scare young children with climate change propaganda in an art gallery is something completely different...
- What does Free Range Eggs mean?
What do you think Free Range Eggs means in Australia? Well, apparently there is no standard definition of what Free Range is...
- Dirty weather is dirty PR
Al Gore is at it again with his '24 hours of Climate Reality', we call it what it is - BS.
- Fixing a water pump cheaply
Our pool cleaner pump just died and I was able to fix it for $14...
- Fixing a solar hot water controller
Fixing a broken solar hot water controller need not be that expensive
- Cloud feedback wrong in climate models, paper
A recent paper by Miller et al 2012 in the AMS Journal indicates that the climate models could be out by a factor of 19 with respect to actual cloud feedback.
- Droughts in the USA, not
It appears that NASA's James Hansen has been caught out spreading unproven conclusions about droughts in the USA, when in actually it is not the case.
- Food - the other inconvenient truth
Informative talk by Jonathan Foley on how our drive to produce yet more and more food is affecting our planet.
- Maths Bug on Android updated
The Maths Bug app on Android has undergone major updates..
- If you want a democracy to fail...
A video well worth watching that underlines what this is all about.
- The Denial Escalator
Commentary on the supposed Denial Escalator and who really is in denial?
- Renewable power cannot reproduce base load availability
We look at the question of whether renewable power is able to provide 100% coverage for base load and therefore remove the need for it.
- Extreme weather not related to Climate Change says IPCC
In a rather surprising report from the IPCC they play down the link between extreme weather and Climate Change...
- Queensland cuts back on Green Schemes
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman has ordered Anna Bligh’s husband to begin dismantling green energy programs he helped create, we examine what this will do.
- Labor loose big time in Queensland
Labor have just lost Queensland in spectacular fashion, what does this mean for the Environment?
- Electricity Bills go through the roof!
The cost of electricity in Australia is now amongst some of the highest in the world. We look at why and what you can do about it.
- New German anti AGW book and extensive media coverage
Breaking News - new book published in Germany today called "The Cold Sun: Why the Climate Disaster Won't Happen". Also extensive anti-AGW newspaper coverage, amazing!
- Maths Bug Mental Maths app updated
Maths Bug, our mental maths training Android application, has been updated!
- Wind power does not work - critical analysis
Wind power, when put under critical fact based analysis is a really bad way to provide electrical power.
- Maths Bug app is out
Frustrated by the lack of good maths teaching aid apps out there, we just went and wrote one cool maths game..
- ClimateGate FOIA Grepper available
Search both ClimateGate I and II emails with ease.
- R Value Calculator App Updated!
Some more functionality has been added to make it more useful.
- The Carbon War
The Carbon War - how the ABC misrepresent the political and social situation in Australia around the Carbon Tax.
- Energy Consumption Calculator
New Energy Consumption Calculator, work out appliance/devices energy usage and their cost, with phantom power costs.
- Al Gore Spamathon
Al Gore wants access to your online accounts to spam all your friends!
- CSIRO government funded and government policy directed??
We look at whether the CSIRO is a 'free' research organization or one whose research is driven by government policy.
- Sustainable House Day 2011
Sustainable House Day is on again.
- Remote Sensing Editor Resigns over Spencer and Braswell paper
Publishing a good paper that goes against the climate change 'consensus' is enough for a journal editor to resign over - OMG!
- Wind power in Australia...
We look at what wind turbines need to operate then compare to available wind in Australia..
- Bob Kernohan interview wrt Julia Gillard
2UE are about to release an interview with Bob Kernohan that could blow the top off the Australian Government...
- Power saving scams
Power saving devices are often too good to be true and found to be scams that end up costing the Earth; be warned!
- Wind Power at least 6 times more expensive.
When wind power is compared on a pure cost for watt basis it turns out to be at least 6 times more expensive than other established technologies.
- Last solar panel manufacturer in Australia, Silex Solar, stops making cells
The last, of only ever two, solar panel cell manufacturers stops making cells in Australia..
- Medical Funding Research in Australia (NHMRC) budget needs protecting not cutting
There could be plans to cut $400 million from the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) budget...
- Stop Coal Seam Gas...
Seems now that we should stop coal seam gas, what are the pros and cons?
- Why Carbon Tax?
Why do we want a Carbon Tax in Australia, this is a good question we will attempt to answer...
- Julia Gillard's Carbon Tax protest at Canberra
Tomorrow in Canberra the Election Now No Carbon Tax Rally will do its thing...
- Carbon Tax Pros and Cons
We look at the Pros and Cons of the Carbon Tax...
- The incredible shrinking carbon tax...
Carbon tax is to be paid by even less industry, whilst in the US the Chicago Climate Exchange is finally put out of our misery..
- What is Carbon Pollution
Carbon pollution, what is it?
- SpongeBob caught up selling Global Warming in schools
Yep, its true, even good old little SpongeBob SquarePants is in on the act.. See the video below..
- Carbon Tax Convoy of No Confidence on its way to Canberra
Want to be part of something Historic? Don't want to see Australia have a Carbon Tax? Read on...
- Keeping warm this Winter, the eco friendly way
Tips on how to keep warm this Winter without breaking the bank or harming the environment.
- Home Ventilation
Ventilating your home is important for your health and well being.
- What is weather and climate?
What is the difference between weather and climate? We answer this question.
- What is climate change?
We answer the question: what is climate change?
- Vaclav Klaus, President of the Czech Republic addresses the National Press Club
The National Press Club Address in full by President of the Czech Republic, Vaclav Klaus: “The mass delusion of climate change”
- Window insulating trick
Would just like to report a little trick we found out that dramatically improves window insulation qualities for little cost..
- Lord Monckton vs Richard Denniss at National Press Club
A very interesting discussion between Lord Monckton and Richard Denniss showing the divide in logical reasoning between the well informed skeptics and the vague warmists. Worth watching.
- Carbon rap - even the young realise Climate Change is a fraud
Good video explaining what is really going on with Climate Change
- Carbon Tax environmental train wreck
The carbon tax in Australia is going to do zip to improve the environment.
- The Dead Carbon Tax Sketch
Based on the classic Dead Parrot Sketch, enjoy!
- Mold Prevention
Mold prevention, great new article
- Atmospheric carbon, man made Co2 measurement problems
The 'man-made' carbon dioxide signature in the atmosphere is not as precise as it is being presented...
- Carbon Tax does not work
Carbon Tax has been shown in the US to be totally ineffective; we compare against the situation with Carbon Tax in Australia.
- Free Green Dictionary App updated
The Free Green Dictionary App has now been updated.
- Green Dictionary App available for Free
We have taken the definitions off the Ecowho.com online dictionary and made them available for free in a standalone Android app.
- Property Assess App for buying or renting property released.
We have just completed an application that will assist you with the process of considering properties for sale or to rent. It should take away much of the stress with keep track of notes, photos and key details.
- Cancun Cloud Feedback problems
It appears that a 'weak' paper has been published supporting the IPCC cloud feedback models to coincide with the last day of Cancun.. hmm..
- Climate models are just wrong..
In a recent paper climate models were hindcast tested against actual surface observations, and found to be seriously lacking if not totally useless... We provide some more background detail.
- 2010 the warmest ever; we think not
The UN's WMO (World Meteorological Organisation) is saying 2010 will be warmest ever... The evidence does not back up the claim
- Will Kyoto fall on its own sword?
It looks like Japan will stop Kyoto being extended and put a big cloud over Cancun.
- Climatic Models incomplete - poor understanding of mid level clouds cited
Clouds play a major role in the climate-change equation, but they are the least-understood variable in the sky, observes a Texas A&M University geoscientist, who says mid-level clouds are especially understudied.
- Indonesia to cut down rainforests for $1Bn climate aid
Indonesia plans to class large areas of its remaining natural forests as "degraded" in order to cut them down and receive nearly $1bn of climate aid for replanting them with palm trees and biofuel crops.
- Climate change is not the long term problem, environmental degradation is.
We propose that man-made climate change, as a risk to society as we know it, is less of a real risk than current environmental degradation and pollution.
- CO2 global levels rising, is this a problem?
According to recent reports in the media it looks like 2010 is 'expected' to be a record this year. We look into the actual facts and find this is just speculation prior to Cancum.
- Solar Panel Calculator
Solar Panel Calculator, given the size, power and number of panels works out total power, rated voltage and amps.
- A Rational Discussion of Climate Change: the Science, the Evidence, the Response
US House of Representatives Science Committee has a meeting today titled 'A Rational Discussion of Climate Change: the Science, the Evidence, the Response' - we give you the details.
- Green Blogging Sites
if you run a green or eco blog, we would be interested in hearing from you
- Green gardening tips
Just some simple tips I've found that make it easier to maintain a green garden.
- Plug pulled in French “Super Ministry of Environment”
Its seems the French have given a big fat 'Nill Points' to the plans to set up a “Super Ministry of Environment” in France.
- ClimateGate Anniversary
ClimateGate is just about to celebrate being one year old. We look at what has changed over the last year.
- Green Guffs of the week
Quick summary of some major 'green' snarfs of the week in terms of not really doing the right thing to save the environment.
- Carbon trading is dead
Carbon trading in the US is dead - the market set up to trade it is about to close down for lack of business.
- Biofuels destroying Rain Forests
Biofuel producing crops are replacing rain forests, resulting in the silly situation that there is a net increase in carbon.
- Qantas A380 no crash in Singapore
For those wondering about the Qantas A380 flight from Singapore, it did not crash.
- Climate Fools Meeting in the UK
The UK just had a meeting at parliament of key climate skeptics and MPs to help educate other MPs and interested people in the real issues.
- Surry Hills Library wins Sustainable Architecture Award
The Surry Hills Library and Community Centre in Sydney, Australia was recently awarded the 2010 National Award for Sustainable Architecture by the Australian Institute of Architects.
- Ocean acidification $15B NGO cash grab
The NGO Partnership for Observation of the Global Oceans (POGO) is after $15B upfront, then $5B a year to improve our ability to measure ocean acidification on the basis of a 0.1 change in pH from 8.2 to 8.1. This is monumental waste of money and we explain why.
- Solar Panels for your home, with the reduced feed-in tariff, are they a sound investment?
We take a more detailed look at solar panels and help you work out if investing your money in solar is the right thing to do for you and the environment.
- Feed-in tariff for NSW reduced to 20c/kWh
New South Wales has reviewed its feed-in tariff and reduced it to 20c/kWh, we look at what this means.
- energy efficient homes and energy saving
Energy saving is something we all want to achieve at home through better efficiency. We look at the options available to you.
- Compost Toilets or Waste processing system?
If you happen to live 'off grid' you often have to make the choice over what form of human waste disposal system is best suited. We give you some advice on this smelly issue...
- Hebel Wall Systems, what are they..
CSR Hebel Wall Systems are a class of wall cladding that has some unique properties that makes them useful in certain building situations.
- climate scientists: no consensus
A post in "The Australian" indicates that the consensus on climate change among climate scientists is a fiction.
- 10:10 - 10 reasons carbon emissions trading does not work
Carbon emissions trading does not work, we give you 10 solid reasons why it won't.
- resignation from American Physical Society over global warming scam
Prof Hal Lewis has just resigned from the American Physical Society after 67 years membership in disgust at the corruption around the 'global warming scam'
- carbon trading does not reduce emissions
Carbon trading will not do a thing to reduce carbon emissions and protect the environment; in fact it could end up doing the exact opposite as businesses use it as a way to create profit.
- 10:10 cut carbon emissions video, the links
A quick summary posting giving links to the coverage so far online and in the media.
- Landfills May Be Greener Than Recycling, finds study
Recycling plastic bottles might not always be the most environmentally-friendly option for disposal, according to a study by an independent consultancy based near Zurich, Switzerland.
- 10:10 cut carbon emissions viral video nightmare
The 10:10 global campaign to cut global carbon emissions has demonstrated in a video they just pulled of their website (but has gone viral, so too late) exactly what they think of those who disagree with them...
- Royal Society acknowledges significant uncertainly in climate predictions
A recent report from UK Royal Society (layman's guide to the science of climate change) has actually acknowledged that there is significant uncertainly in future climate models and predictions.
- National Broadband Network - is it really Green?
How green is the National Broadband Network (NBN) and what are the alternatives?
- Solar Cells at the nanoscale
it appears that some recent research is promising to improve the efficiency of solar cell light capture by up to 12 times..
- It does look like the Sun influences climate after all
The idea that changes in the sun's activity can influence the climate is making a comeback, after years of scientific vilification, thanks to major advances in our understanding of the atmosphere.
- BBC calls for UN climate chief resignation
As reported by the BBC several environmentalists, UK MPs and scientists has called for the resignation of Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN’s climate science body.
- Yahoo's super efficient Data Center
Yahoo has been able to apply passive cooling and hydro-electricity to a data center to produce massive savings in power usage and environmental foot print.
- Reducing cows' methane production the natural way
It appears that oregano can actually reduce the methane 'emissions' a cow produces..
- Climate Disruption
Climate Disruption equals Climate Change equals Global Warming - the great global rebranding of AGW rolls on..
- WA Greens get evicted a Feedlot Operator for not believing in AGW
It appears in Western Australia that the Green's have no shame in wrecking a families livelihood because they expressed anti global warming opinions. This has resulted in the family been given 4 days notice of eviction.
- Passive Solar Design advice
Passive Solar design can be applied to existing buildings as well as new buildings. We explain some useful techniques and give links to useful resources.
- EarthCare Centre open day
The EarthCare Centre in Western Sydney is having an open day on Sustainable House Day
- Sustainable House Day on this weekend
Sustainable House Day 2010 in Australia is on this Sunday 12th September
- Forestry investments have all gone rotten
The Managed Investment Scheme (MIS) operators have all gone to the wall in Australia, we look at why and if they were actually green.
- Self-Assembling Solar Cells Recycle Themselves Repeatedly
MIT has been researching into creating natural cell like solar cells which are able to reassemble themselves and the research so far looks quite promising...
- Chicago Climate Exchange drops 50%, new record low
Basically, if it gets any lower it will be ZERO..
- IPCC must reform, recommends IAC
An independent review said the scientists who produce the periodic United Nations reports on climate change (IPCC) should be more open to alternative views, more transparent about their own possible conflicts of interest and more realistic in the reporting of the likelihood of climatic events.
- Alternative Solar Energy
Alternative Solar Energy - this phrase often creates images of hippies and flower power... We look at what it really means.
- US Thermal Solar Plant approved in California
California approves the first U.S. Thermal Solar Plant.
- solar power efficiency
What are the factors that are important in efficiently harvesting solar power - we look at what they are..
- Special Interest Groups
To make it easier to find information on certain important topics we have made a set of SIG's (Special Interest Groups)...
- New Rainwater harvesting calculator
This new calculator allows you to work out the practical tank size given average per month rainfall, your roof area and expected monthly water usage.
- Watching CO2 feed the world
Watching a child grow is seeing carbon dioxide in action. Plants turn CO2 into the food we eat to live and grow on. “You can’t live on air” is a common saying but that is just what we do; we live on air and water.
- Corrected RCP Scenario Removal Fractions
Reposted from Dr. Roy Spencer’s blog February 6th, 2020 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D. Well, as I suspected (and warned everyone) in my blog post yesterday, a portion of my calculations were in error regarding how much CO2 is taken out of the atmosphere...
- Ice sheets impact core elements of the Earth’s carbon cycle
University of Bristol The Earth’s carbon cycle is crucial in controlling the greenhouse gas content of our atmosphere, and ultimately our climate. Ice sheets which cover about 10 percent of our Earth’s land surface at present, were thought...
- Climate warming experiment finds unexpected results
From Phys.org January 4, 2019 by Emily Pontecorvo, American Geophysical Union Tropical forests store about a third of Earth’s carbon and about two-thirds of its above-ground biomass. Most climate change models predict that as the world warms, all...
- Doughnut Economics: the long-sought alternative to endless growth
Finding a healthy alternative to the prevailing growth model that has strained the planet to bursting is the holy grail of environmental economics. And it looks like maybe we've found it. George Monbiot, the most dynamic environmental journalist I know,...
- Now it’s the fungi carbon footprint that isn’t in climate models
From a long line of missing things in climate models and the University of Texas at Austin: Symbiotic fungi inhabiting plant roots have major impact on atmospheric carbon, scientists say AUSTIN, Texas — Microscopic fungi that live in plants’ roots...
- Apparently, 4 degrees spells climate doom
One has to wonder though, since CO2 residence time has been said to be anywhere from five year to hundreds, or even thousands of years, with no solid agreement yet, how they can be so sure of themselves? From the … Continue reading →
- Earth Could be Two Times More Sensitive to CO2 Than Previously Thought
Image via Shutterstock As levels of CO2 in the atmosphere rise, scientists are grappling with a mountain of data to form an accurate picture of the future. Scientists from the Geological Society of London now believe that most current climate models only
- US Carbon Dioxide Emissions – down by source
I’ve often said my email is like a fire hose. Here’s an example of something that got lost in the stream and I didn’t find it until last night while looking for another email. Zeke Hausfather writes (In August 2012): … Continue...
Related Tags: environment, global warmingSearch the Web for Carbon Cycle
What is carbon cycle?
carbon cycle definition.
About carbon cycle.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.