photosynthesis, definition of
The proportion of sunlight energy that a photovoltaic cell converts to electrical energy.
News & Blog articles where 'photosynthesis' used:
Search the Web for Photosynthesis
- Earth system models underestimate carbon fixation by plants in the high latitudes
From Nature Communications. Abstract Most Earth system models agree that land will continue to store carbon due to the physiological effects of rising CO2 concentration and climatic changes favoring plant growth in temperature-limited regions. But they...
- A greenhouse is transformed into an experimental living space in Taiwan
Taipei-based design practice BIAS Architects recently completed “Greenhouse as a Home,” an experimental installation that reinterprets the living areas of a traditional house as five climatic zones...
- New photosynthesis machine is twice as efficient at creating hydrogen fuel
Researchers at the University of Michigan and McGill University in Montreal have created a device that uses sunlight to efficiently split fresh or salt water into hydrogen that may be used in fuel cells...
- How fungi made Earth's atmosphere livable - new study
It turns out mushrooms aren't just great to eat, but played an essential role in creating an atmosphere suitable for animal life, according to a new study. The earliest plants to dwell on land did not have well developed roots or vascular systems. Fungi,...
- This living solar wallpaper harvests energy thanks to photosynthesis
Researchers at Imperial College London just created incredible energy-harvesting wallpaper by inkjet-printing circuitry and cyanobacteria on paper. The cyanobacteria live through the printing process, and then perform photosynthesis to harvest power....
- These cyborg bacteria are better at photosynthesis than plants
Could cyborg bacteria generate the clean fuel of the future? Work conducted at Peidong Yang's laboratory at the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) basically allowed bacteria to cover themselves in small semiconductors that functioned like...
- Energy-generating 'artificial plants' turn greenhouse gases into clean air
Groundbreaking research from scientists at the University of Central Florida (UCF) and Florida State University could help in the fight against climate change...
- 6 groundbreaking examples of tech innovations inspired by biomimicry
Da Vinci was definitely on to something when he observed birds and copied their forms to create his own wings for flight. Although biomimicry wasn't ultimately successful in helping Da Vinci achieve flight, it has a solid track record for getting engineers,...
- Startup creates renewable hydrogen energy out of sunlight and water
California startup HyperSolar and University of Iowa researchers have teamed up to make renewable energy in a way that draws inspiration from plants. Using water and sunlight, they are able to make renewable hydrogen energy, which at this point is more...
- Harvard's new artificial leaf converts sunlight into fuel with groundbreaking efficiency
Harvard University's Daniel Nocera is a busy man. Last week, we reported on his announcement of a superbug that consumes carbon dioxide and creates fuel, a major development in energy technology. Now, the news is out that the "bionic leaf 2.0" is ready,...
What is photosynthesis?
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.