alternative fuels, definition of
- Alternative Fuels
Fuels from sources cleaner than coal or petroleum products: ethanol, methanol, natural gas, solar, wind, geothermal, biodiesel from vegetable oil, etc.
News & Blog articles where 'alternative fuels' used:
- Toyota’s hydrogen fuel cell trucks put to work in Port of LA pilot
Toyota has hydrogen fuel cell transport trucks that generate no local emissions, and that have 670 horsepower and an 80,000 lb total weight capacity. The powertrain includes two of Toyota’s Mirai fuel cells, and a 12kWh battery charged by...
- Startup is developing kelp farms in the open ocean to make carbon-neutral biofuel
Could a robotic kelp farm offer an alternative fuel for cars or jets? The founders behind Marine BioEnergy hope so. The startup will soon begin testing a prototype of their kelp elevator, a farm that can move up and down in the water with the help of...
- New biofuel from wastewater slashes vehicle CO2 emissions by 80%
An innovative new project called LIFE+ Methamorphosis is pioneering a new sustainable biofuel for cars. Car company SEAT and water management company Aqualia have transformed wastewater into the alternative fuel. Powered with this biofuel produced during...
- Congress is letting tax credits for hydrogen-fuelled cars expire at the end of 2014
If you’re planning on buying a hydrogen car – you should do it quickly. That's because the federal tax credit worth up to $8,000 for fuel cell vehicle purchasers expires on Dec. 31, 2014 due to the fact that Congress didn’t renew it before their...
- Sweden expands its hydrogen vehicle refueling station network
Sweden is installing a permanent hydrogen fuel filling station in the city of Gothenburg. The new station will make it possible to travel by hydrogen-fueled vehicle the whole length of the roughly six-hour drive between Oslo, Norway and Malmö in...
- Audi and Global Bioenergies Turn Sugar into a Sweet Biofuel Alternative
Sugar is classically one of the very worst things you can put in a car's gas tank but that has not stopped Audi from exploring ways to make biofuel made from the sweet powder...
- New EU Law to Create Massive Electric Vehicle Charging Grid Throughout Europe by 2020
The European Parliament just passed a resolution this week that will require member states to install a specified number of electric vehicle charging stations and hydrogen and natural gas stations by 2020...
- ABB to Build World’s Largest Network of Electric Vehicle Fast-Charging Stations in the Netherlands
ABB, a company that specializes in electric vehicle power solutions, recently announced plans to build the world’s largest nationwide network of EV fast-charging stations in the Netherlands...
- Brown University Identifies Hungry Microbe That Could be Key to Turning Biomass Into Biofuel
The quick rise and depressing downward spiral of the ethanol industry proved that using food to make biofuel is both wasteful and costly. Non food-based biofuels, such as those derived from grasses, trees, or algae, are far more sustainable but harder...
Related Tags: alternative fuelsSearch the Web for Alternative Fuels
What is alternative fuels?
alternative fuels definition.
About alternative fuels.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.