biodiversity, definition of
In an ecosystem, variability among living organisms from all sources, sometimes measured by the total number of species or other taxonomic groupings, and their relative abundances.
EcoWho Articles where 'biodiversity' used:
News & Blog articles where 'biodiversity' used:
- Eco Tourism, how to minimise your effects
Eco tourism is about enjoying remote places and destinations whilst minimising your environmental or cultural impact. This article goes into some detail on this subject.
- Carbon-neutral science museum in Sweden will be powered by bicycles
Danish architectural firm COBE has unveiled designs for a new science museum in the Swedish university city of Lund that will be powered not only with rooftop solar energy but also with pedal power...
- EPA lifts ban on pesticide proven to be toxic to honeybees
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has re-approved a pesticide for use throughout the country despite its known toxicity to honeybee populations. The chemical, sulfoxaflor, is produced by DowDupont, a major chemical company that contributed...
- Beautiful, solar-powered EV charging stations promise to charge a vehicle in 15 minutes
Copenhagen-based architectural firm COBE has just unveiled what are possibly the most beautiful and sustainable electric vehicle charging stations in the world...
- Studio NAB wants to boost urban biodiversity with an insect hotel at a bus stop
Waiting for the bus is usually a drag, but what if the experience could instead become an opportunity to be closer to nature? French design practice Studio NAB has reinterpreted the humble bus stop as a hub for biodiversity that offers a “hotel” for...
- Sussan Ley: I'll be an environmentalist as minister
MP says she’s prepared to fight for her portfolio – and a priority will be cutting ‘green tape’ for big projects
- Populations are not declining and food webs are not collapsing at the Luquillo Experimental Forest
From PNAS M. R. Willig, L. Woolbright, S. J. Presley, T. D. Schowalter, R. B. Waide, T. Heartsill Scalley, J. K. Zimmerman, G. González, and A. E. Lugo PNAS first published May 29, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1820456116 This article has Replies....
- Climate change affects the genetic diversity of a species
“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’ ’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’ ’The question...
- What ‘rewilding’ really means for forestry and heather moorland | Letters
Plantations are an excellent way to combat climate breakdown, writes Andrew Weatherall, of the National School of Forestry. And Rachel Kerr says heather moorland is rarer than rainforest and the underlying peat is more effective at carbon storage than...
- Social media data reveal benefits or threats to biodiversity by visitors to nature locations
This seems useful~ctm University of Helsinki Understanding how people use and experience important places for living nature is essential for effectively managing and monitoring human activities and conserving biodiversity...
- Greenpeace Co-Founder Tells Congress To Ignore UN’s Latest Extinction Warning
From The Daily Caller 9:39 AM 05/22/2019 | Energy Michael Bastasch | Energy Editor Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore will testify before Congress on the U.N.’s alarming biodiversity report. Moore says the report’s “highly exaggerated...
Related Tags: environmentSearch the Web for Biodiversity
What is biodiversity?
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.