Environment, definition of
The biophysical environment is the symbiosis between the physical environment and the biological life forms within the environment, and includes all variables that comprise the Earth's biosphere.
EcoWho Articles where 'Environment' used:
EcoWho blog posts where 'Environment' used:
- Home Ventilation Techniques
Home Ventilation improves the quality of living in your home, we look at the ventilation system options available.
- Mould Prevention, do it yourself tips
Preventing mould in your house without using expensive chemicals or solutions, managing it the DIY way.
- Buying a House
Buying a house can be one of the biggest financial decisions you will make, we provide some advice on how make it go more smoothly and how to ensure you find a property that is good for you and the environment.
- wind power generators, are they right for you?
Wind power generation sounds like a possible way to offset rising power bills, we look at the issues involved and if it is practical for you.
- Global Warming, climategate, big business and being green
The theory of man made global warming is turning into an excuse to derive profit from peoples good nature, what is going on?..
- Climategate, what is going on?
Global warming, climate change, greenhouse effect and climategate; how 'valid' is the climate science?
- Trans fats - why they are bad for you and the environment
Trans Fats are know to be very bad for your long term health, we also explain how Trans Fats are also bad for the environment too.
- Solar Energy - how you can use the Sun
The Sun's Energy can be used in way different ways, we look at the various options available.
- Solar Power - the facts about setting up Solar Power
Solar Power systems installed at the home or office can reduce environmental impact. How solar panel systems work is described and how you and the environment benefit.
- Eco Tourism, how to minimise your effects
Eco tourism is about enjoying remote places and destinations whilst minimising your environmental or cultural impact. This article goes into some detail on this subject.
- Carbon Offsets, what they are and how they help
Carbon offsets can help with reducing overall carbon emissions by possibly balancing out the carbon impact on the environment. This article goes into more detail on the subject.
- Ecologically Sustainable Development, what it is and how you can do it
Ecologically Sustainable Development (ESD) is defined and explained in detail in this article; and how it helps you to be more green and eco friendly.
- Solar Water heating, how it works and the options available
Solar hot water heating uses the sun to heat hot water. We explain what the hot water heating options are, their advantages and costs.
- DIY Decking Oil
Decking oil can be expensive, we explain how to make your own timber decking oil cheaply and apply it.
- What is R-Value, U-Value and how do they relate to insulation?
How the R-value of a buildings insulation or home is calculated and the factors that effect the final R value, and how to use it.
- Is using a wood fire to heat being Green?
We look at whether using a wood fire to heat your home is being really green or not.
- Michael Jackson and his Green legacy
The King of Pop is dead - but what is his Green legacy? In this article we have a look at what he has really done for the world and its environment.
- Food toxicity and how it effects you
Foods we eat can contain health risks by toxic environment contamination where they are grown or processed. This article discusses the various issues around food toxicity and how to minimize health effects.
- Whats the fuss about Biochar?
Biochar - what is it? This article explains what biochar is and how it will help us with carbon capture and improving the soil.
- What is convection and how it effects your heating costs
Convection directly effects the cost of keeping your house warm in winter. This article explains what convention is and some practical tips on how to battle convection.
- Low Allergen Building Design
Low allergen design is a whole building approach that aims to reduce and avoid all known allergens, and to minimize the conditions in which they occur. This article shows you how.
- DIY household cleaners
How to make household cleaners with simple and green recipes; make your own cleaners and save money as well as the environment.
- Water for Melbourne via pipe from Tasmania
Discussion over why its far better for the environment to pipe water from Tasmania to Melbourne than building the Wonthaggi desalination plant
- Top Ten Going Green Tips & Tricks
Top ten green tips and tricks you can do to be Green and more Eco friendly in your day to day life.
- The importance of building orientation
Building orientation to the Sun is important to reduce energy consumption, keeping comfortable and saving money. This article explains how best to get building orientation correct. Through a combination of benefits and opportunities the correct building orientation could save you thousands.
- What is Passive Solar?
Passive solar building design is explained and how passive solar principals are used to design green homes and buildings, and save you money.
- Green Home Building and Ecology in Australia
Info and sites that help with building a sustainable and green home in Australia and useful government agencies to be aware of. Also advice on dealing with architects and builders.
- Green Christmas, is it possible?
Christmas and being green don't often go together, we provide advice on reducing your environmental impact to be more Green for Christmas.
- Efficient Water Usage and Storage
How to improve your water harvesting and collection with water tanks and how to use the water efficiently and be ecologically sound.
Related Tags: environment, biosphereSearch the Web for Environment
What is Environment?
- Environmental Ethics
A search for moral values and ethical principles in human relations with the natural world.
News & Blog articles where 'Environment' used:
Search the Web for Environmental Ethics
- Can Pope Francis halt climate change with new papal document?
Pope Francis is causing quite a stir with news that he will soon publish a historic document that details the Catholic imperative to curb global warming. While some pundits believe the encyclical, which will be published in early summer, has more power
What is Environment?
- Environmental Fate
Where a substance ends up after it is released into the environment. Environmental
fate depends on many factors, including transport (e.g., wind, runoff) and
transformation processes (e.g., degradation).
Search the Web for Environmental Fate
What is Environment?
- Environmental Impact
Any change to the environment whether adverse or beneficial, wholly or partially resulting from human activity, industry or natural disasters.
EcoWho Articles where 'Environment' used:EcoWho blog posts where 'Environment' used:
News & Blog articles where 'Environment' used:Search the Web for Environmental Impact
- Landfills May Be Greener Than Recycling, finds study
Recycling plastic bottles might not always be the most environmentally-friendly option for disposal, according to a study by an independent consultancy based near Zurich, Switzerland.
- 10:10 cut carbon emissions viral video nightmare
The 10:10 global campaign to cut global carbon emissions has demonstrated in a video they just pulled of their website (but has gone viral, so too late) exactly what they think of those who disagree with them...
- Royal Society acknowledges significant uncertainly in climate predictions
A recent report from UK Royal Society (layman's guide to the science of climate change) has actually acknowledged that there is significant uncertainly in future climate models and predictions.
- National Broadband Network - is it really Green?
How green is the National Broadband Network (NBN) and what are the alternatives?
- Solar Cells at the nanoscale
it appears that some recent research is promising to improve the efficiency of solar cell light capture by up to 12 times..
- It does look like the Sun influences climate after all
The idea that changes in the sun's activity can influence the climate is making a comeback, after years of scientific vilification, thanks to major advances in our understanding of the atmosphere.
- BBC calls for UN climate chief resignation
As reported by the BBC several environmentalists, UK MPs and scientists has called for the resignation of Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN’s climate science body.
- Yahoo's super efficient Data Center
Yahoo has been able to apply passive cooling and hydro-electricity to a data center to produce massive savings in power usage and environmental foot print.
- Reducing cows' methane production the natural way
It appears that oregano can actually reduce the methane 'emissions' a cow produces..
- Climate Disruption
Climate Disruption equals Climate Change equals Global Warming - the great global rebranding of AGW rolls on..
- WA Greens get evicted a Feedlot Operator for not believing in AGW
It appears in Western Australia that the Green's have no shame in wrecking a families livelihood because they expressed anti global warming opinions. This has resulted in the family been given 4 days notice of eviction.
- Passive Solar Design advice
Passive Solar design can be applied to existing buildings as well as new buildings. We explain some useful techniques and give links to useful resources.
- EarthCare Centre open day
The EarthCare Centre in Western Sydney is having an open day on Sustainable House Day
- Sustainable House Day on this weekend
Sustainable House Day 2010 in Australia is on this Sunday 12th September
- Forestry investments have all gone rotten
The Managed Investment Scheme (MIS) operators have all gone to the wall in Australia, we look at why and if they were actually green.
- Self-Assembling Solar Cells Recycle Themselves Repeatedly
MIT has been researching into creating natural cell like solar cells which are able to reassemble themselves and the research so far looks quite promising...
- Chicago Climate Exchange drops 50%, new record low
Basically, if it gets any lower it will be ZERO..
- IPCC must reform, recommends IAC
An independent review said the scientists who produce the periodic United Nations reports on climate change (IPCC) should be more open to alternative views, more transparent about their own possible conflicts of interest and more realistic in the reporting of the likelihood of climatic events.
- Alternative Solar Energy
Alternative Solar Energy - this phrase often creates images of hippies and flower power... We look at what it really means.
- US Thermal Solar Plant approved in California
California approves the first U.S. Thermal Solar Plant.
- solar power efficiency
What are the factors that are important in efficiently harvesting solar power - we look at what they are..
- Special Interest Groups
To make it easier to find information on certain important topics we have made a set of SIG's (Special Interest Groups)...
- New Rainwater harvesting calculator
This new calculator allows you to work out the practical tank size given average per month rainfall, your roof area and expected monthly water usage.
- More Efficient Solar Cells with Selenium
Researchers have discovered that just adding a minuscule quantity of 9% selenium with zinc oxide base radically improved the sun light absorbing efficiency of the material...
- Climate Change Policy in Australia
With an election just around the corner the politically sensitive issue of how Labour is to deal with Climate Change has been presented as policy today.
- GE Ecomagination Challenge $200m for good ideas
GE Ecomagination contest hopes to gather ideas for improving electrical grid technology.
- Call for tighter review of IPCC data
Prof Jean Palutikof, who spent 5 years at the British Met Office preparing the UN report, Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability, admitted the existing system was flawed because "quite a lot" of information had not been peer-reviewed by independent scientists before publication.
- IPCC conclusions fail under legal cross examination
A cross examination of global warming science conducted by the University of Pennsylvania’s Institute for Law and Economics has concluded that virtually every claim advanced by global warming proponents fails to stand up to scrutiny.
- new low cost solar cell tech - dye films
solar dye film cells will be available at a projected price of 3p per kw/h, a tenth of silicon cells.
- Give Curry to sheep and save the planet
Strange but true, feeding sheep curry could save the planet...
- Solar companies receive $2 billion
Two solar companies have been awarded nearly $2 billion in Recovery Act funding for solar projects in three states.
- New Square LED's more light directional
A new LED fabrication technique produces squares of LED's that are more directional.
- Best Solar Panels for home
We look at what are the best solar panels for home use
- Climatic Modelling - the problems with getting it right
Climatic Models are being used more and more to demonstrate human induced climate change is happening; we look at the problems with this.
- Solar Power Calculator Updated
Our solar power calculator has been updated..
- Gillard is in
Julia Gillard is in as the new PM of Australia, replacing Kevin Rudd; what does this mean for the Green Agenda?
- Insulation, how much do you need?
Working out how much insulation to install can be difficult, we show you how.
- Green Home Loan Calculator
A home loan calculator that allows you to also work out what you can do to be more green, and pay off your loan quicker as well.
- Quantum dot solar cells - is this the breakthrough?
Quantum Dot Photovoltaics look to be able to double solar electricity collection efficiency. Is this enough to improve the viability of solar power to be practical to more of the community and make it sustainable green?
- Buy Green Books and Products
We now have an online facility to purchase green books and products.
- Resource Super Profit Tax is Super Stupid
We look at the Resource Super Profit tax and show why it will not work as advertised.
- Climate Change: the ice is fine
Electromagnetic survey to measure ice thickness uncovers vast areas of resilient "old" ice in the Arctic; leading researcher concludes, "Any talk about tipping points, a sudden drop and no recovery ... I don't think it is going to happen."
- Keeping Cool in Summer
Keeping cool in Summer as always a challenge, we show you how to do it whilst being green.
- Wind Power, is it really Green?
Can wind power be considering a really green alternative energy source in its own right?
- Time to comment on the IPCC
The IPCC is awaiting your feedback, tell it as it is...
- A study: The temperature rise has caused the CO2 Increase, not the other way around
Differentiating the CO2 measurements over the last thirty years produces a pattern that matches the temperature anomaly measured by satellites in extreme detail. That this correlation includes El Niño years, and shows that the temperature rise is causing the rise in CO2, rather than the other way..
- Sustainable House Day 2010 in Australia
Sustainable House Day 2010 is on for Sunday 12th September 2010, we look at how this can help you been more sustainable.
- Sustainable House and Home
Sustainable housing, we look into what you need to do to make your house more green and sustainable.
- Passive Solar
Passive Solar is often banded around as a good thing to do to make your house more green; we look at it in more detail.
- Bilderberg 2010
Bilderberg 2010, a meeting you have never heard of, full of people you have never heard of - trying to manage the world without your say..
- Rain fall and rain harvesting calculator
A new calculator that uses some publicly available rain fall data to help work out your monthly rain fall and hence collectible rain water.
- Green Directory
New Green directory service on line.
- Architects held to be "Fit For Purpose"
Trade Practices Amendment (Australian Consumer Law) Bill (No. 2) 2010 will seek to remove an exception requiring Architects and Engineers to comply to a 'Fit for Purpose' warranty. We think this is a good thing.
- The Skeptic Global Warming Conference
The Fourth International Conference on Climate Change is taking place in Chicago, Illinois.
- New Scientist, in denial on denial
New Scientist has just published a 'Age of Denial' special edition..
- Kids test with added global warming propoganda
The recent NAPLAN test in Australia has caused an outrage due to it containing an inaccurate article that pits roo meat against beef & the coal industry in terms of environmental impact.
- Is Cap and Trade really the way to care for the planet?
I reckon Cap and Trade is not the way to go..
- Is Climate Change caused by Photoshop?
We look at the images used in the media to portray climate change and find quite a few have been run through PhotoShop..
- Home Sustainability Assessment - do you really need one?
Home Sustainability Assessments, are they actually assessing your home or assessing your ability to pay for more green modifications...
- Most convinced global warming not man made
It appears that down in Australia that there is an outbreak of common sense occurring.
- Hot Water Heat Pumps - are they a rip off
We have a quick look at the cost benefits behind heating hot water using a heat pump...
- Lets the climate models tell the truth we want to see..
Climate models are just that, a model, based on assumptions and theories. Their accuracy is limited not only through the complexities of the climatic systems they model but also by the conclusions researchers want to see from them..
- More exact monthly means...
Following up with more data set pairs showing the difference in accuracy between min/max daily monthly means and taking the mean of all hourly measurements in that month..
- What exactly is a monthly mean?
A lot of climate analysis is done using the monthly mean temperature. Given that data is quite often available for hourly measurements I thought I'd have a look at whether creating a monthly mean straight off all the hourly measurements would produce a difference; initial findings indicate it does.
- Australia has a growing obesity problem
Australia has a big problem, obesity is now the #1 preventable cause of death..
- Global Warmings unscientific method
Peer review seems to be more about peer pressure when trying to publish anything that goes against the Global Warming group think.
- Australian Bureau of Meterology tweaking the climatic data?
Its seems that the Australian Bureau of Meteorology might have been tweaking the data a bit to show false warming..
- Climategate Parliamentary Inquiry in the UK, the whitewash results are in
The parliamentary inquiry into ClimateGate has just published its report, we have a look.
- heathrow expansion stopped due to climate change?
It appears that a UK judge seems to have swallowed hook line and sinker the 'settled science' of climate change and stopped Heathrow from being expanded..
- Green Environment Blog Network - a closed blog ring?
It appears that the Guardian and sites like realclimate.org have been engaging in closed content sharing ring..
- Earth Hour - the flop?
Although Earth Hour left people with a nice warm glow, did it actually make a difference...
- Climate Change caused an island, erm sand bar to disappear..
"Climate change sunk my sandbar..." hmm
- Earth Hour - lights out, minds alight
On March 27th, 115 countries will put their lights out for one hour. We discuss what this means and what you should do long term to help the environment.
- Missing, one weather station
It seems Australia is having a bit of a problem with missing weather stations.
- WWF's Amazon carbon trading cash cow
It appears the World Wildlife Fund could be on its way to securing up to $60 billion in carbon credits from 'saving' the Amazon - more like 'cashing in' on the Amazon if you ask me..
- Costs overruns for school buildings
It appears that the Australian school building program is having its fair share of 'cost overruns'..
- Climate Rage
Climate Rage - don't get mad - get even.
- The Green Web Directory is Online
Our Green Directory is up and running
- Solar Power - hidden costs
Solar power is all the rage at the moment, we had a look at some quotes and found it is not as good a deal as it looks.
- Climate Change killed my cat..
It seems that everything from Floods through to Fires through to droughts is being blamed on global warming and climate change. I think this is oversimplifying the story and ignoring local changes we have caused.
- Is keeping data private 'normal practise' in climate research?
It seems Phil Jones thinks its perfectly normal to do research and publish said research whilst withholding data.
- Yet another Climate Change department?
Seems the AU government are busy producing yet more Co2 via civil servants for climate change.
- Act on Co2 - the advert..
Ofcom in the UK is investigating a climate change advert which really takes things too far.
- Met Office proposes to make Data Set Verifiable
The UK Met Office want to put in place a collation of station data that is publicly accessible.
- Cover-More, you drink and its cover-less..
If you have Cover-More insurance, don't travel and do any drinking if you want to remain insured - thats the finding of a recent Today Tonight special.
- Is ETS a lame duck?
The Emissions Trading Scheme looks to be stuck in the Senate. Does this mean it will fail?
- A failure to insulate
It appears the Rudd governments insulation rebate scheme is beyond repair...
- Climate Change bullies?
Climate Change Scientists seem to believe they are being bulled...
- Sydney transport - oh what a fine mess!
Yet more politically motivated tweaking of the Sydney transport system..
- National Climate Change Forum response
This is in response to the National Climate Change Forum being held in Adelaide.
- What is the fuss with biochar??
Given the sudden interest in the media on biochar one would think a way of really saving the world has been discovered...
- Bush Fires and being Green, can you do both?
Given that bush fires cause a lot of destruction and environmental damage, can we manage them and be green at the same time?
- Is the Australian Stimulus package green enough?
What is Environment?
- Environmental Management System
A environmental management system (EMS) is a standard system of business operation that considers all aspects of sustainable business in the day to day running of a business, such as ISO 14001.
Related Tags: green business, businessSearch the Web for Environmental Management System
What is Environment?
- Environmental Medium
A major environmental category that surrounds or contacts humans, animals, plants, and other organisms (e.g. surface water, ground water, soil or air) and through which chemicals or pollutants move.
Search the Web for Environmental Medium
What is Environment?
- Environmental Pollution
Environmental Pollution refers to the presence or introduction of known pollutants into an environment that result in a degrading of the environmental biosphere in terms of size, variety and longevity/sustainability.
In particular such pollution tends to stay within an environment for an extended period of time (many years) without specific steps to reduce or remove it. In essence the natural ability of the environment to 'clean itself' is unable to cope with the pollution and significant damage results.
Examples of such pollution includes (but not limited to):
EcoWho Articles where 'Environment' used:News & Blog articles where 'Environment' used:
- Fertilizer runoff - where fertilizer escapes from farmed land into wild environments and modifies the native/weed balance.
- Pesticides residue - pesticides can make their way into the food chain and become concentrated.
- Heavy metals/plastics - again can be concentrated in the food chain and have an adverse effect on longevity and reproduction.
- Tailing spills - mining bi-products leaching.
- Waste dump leaching - not properly isolated from the water table or illegal dumping.
A key aspect of such pollution is that it tends to accumulative and can be multi-factored, in that one act of pollution can cause a chain reaction that degrades multiple biospheres over time. Also such pollution can be readily attributed to a specific pollution act or occurrence, e.g. there is a clear provable chain of cause and effect.
- Technology uses banana leaves as a biodegradable alternative to single-use plastic
Plastic pollution negatively impacts the health of our planet. Waste management has led to an irreversible environmental crisis that is felt by wildlife, especially in the oceans. One organization, called Banana Leaf Technology, is helping to address...
- The devastating reason Mumbai dogs are turning blue
Lately, blue stray dogs have been spotted running around Navi Mumbai, India, and it's no laughing matter. Inadequate waste treatment at a local river has allowed dye to leach into the water, turning dogs who wade in a bright blue color. To add to the...
- Damage report reveals LA methane leak is one of the worst disasters in US history
A week after the ruptured natural gas well in Aliso Canyon was finally declared sealed, we have a full account of the environmental damage -- and it doesn't look good...
- Researchers Take an Up-Close and Personal Look at What Pollution Does to the Body
Air pollution is one of those things that we know is awful for our bodies, but it can be hard to see the actual impact. So even though about 3.7 million people died prematurely from air pollution in 2012 alone, it’s easy to forget day-to-day just how...
Related Tags: environment, pollutionSearch the Web for Environmental Pollution
What is Environment?
- Environmental Racism
Racial discrimination takes many
insidious forms. This term refers to a situation in which industrial
operations, environmental policymaking, and the enforcement (or lack of
enforcement) of environmental laws unfairly impact a particular race of
people, either intentionally or unintentionally. Examples include the
locating of hazardous waste landfills in minority communities, and the exclusion of minorities in environmental policy-making leadership.
Search the Web for Environmental Racism
What is Environment?
- Environmentally Preferable
Products or services that have a lesser or reduced effect on the environment.Search the Web for Environmentally Preferable
What is Environment?
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.