environmental pollution, definition of
- Environmental Pollution
Environmental Pollution refers to the presence or introduction of known pollutants into an environment that result in a degrading of the environmental biosphere in terms of size, variety and longevity/sustainability.
In particular such pollution tends to stay within an environment for an extended period of time (many years) without specific steps to reduce or remove it. In essence the natural ability of the environment to 'clean itself' is unable to cope with the pollution and significant damage results.
Examples of such pollution includes (but not limited to):
EcoWho Articles where 'environmental pollution' used:News & Blog articles where 'environmental pollution' used:
- Fertilizer runoff - where fertilizer escapes from farmed land into wild environments and modifies the native/weed balance.
- Pesticides residue - pesticides can make their way into the food chain and become concentrated.
- Heavy metals/plastics - again can be concentrated in the food chain and have an adverse effect on longevity and reproduction.
- Tailing spills - mining bi-products leaching.
- Waste dump leaching - not properly isolated from the water table or illegal dumping.
A key aspect of such pollution is that it tends to accumulative and can be multi-factored, in that one act of pollution can cause a chain reaction that degrades multiple biospheres over time. Also such pollution can be readily attributed to a specific pollution act or occurrence, e.g. there is a clear provable chain of cause and effect.
- Technology uses banana leaves as a biodegradable alternative to single-use plastic
Plastic pollution negatively impacts the health of our planet. Waste management has led to an irreversible environmental crisis that is felt by wildlife, especially in the oceans. One organization, called Banana Leaf Technology, is helping to address...
- The devastating reason Mumbai dogs are turning blue
Lately, blue stray dogs have been spotted running around Navi Mumbai, India, and it's no laughing matter. Inadequate waste treatment at a local river has allowed dye to leach into the water, turning dogs who wade in a bright blue color. To add to the...
- Damage report reveals LA methane leak is one of the worst disasters in US history
A week after the ruptured natural gas well in Aliso Canyon was finally declared sealed, we have a full account of the environmental damage -- and it doesn't look good...
- Researchers Take an Up-Close and Personal Look at What Pollution Does to the Body
Air pollution is one of those things that we know is awful for our bodies, but it can be hard to see the actual impact. So even though about 3.7 million people died prematurely from air pollution in 2012 alone, it’s easy to forget day-to-day just how...
Related Tags: environment, pollutionSearch the Web for Environmental Pollution
What is environmental pollution?
environmental pollution definition.
About environmental pollution.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.