Gulf Stream, definition of
- Gulf Stream
A current of warm ocean water that flows from the Gulf of Mexico to the coasts of Europe, providing heat that keeps Europe warmer in winter than regions of North America at the same latitude.
News & Blog articles where 'Gulf Stream' used:
- The Gulf Stream is the weakest it's been in 1,600 years - here's why that's really bad news
The Gulf Stream current, which serves as an important regulator of weather and climate along the Atlantic Ocean, is now the weakest it has been in at least 1,600 years...
- World’s Largest Solar-Powered Boat Lands in London, Completes Gulf Stream Environmental Study
Earlier this June, the transatlantic speed record-holding solar catamaran was converted into a scientific platform to collect data between on the Gulf Stream between Oostende and London...
- MS PlanetSolar Turanor: World’s Largest Solar-Powered Boat Docks in NYC
Inhabitat is getting our sea legs this morning aboard the world's largest solar-powered boat, which docked today at the North Cove Marina in downtown Manhattan...
- World’s Largest Solar Boat Announces Trans-Atlantic Trip to Conduct Climate Change Experiments
In 2010, PlanetSolar’s Tûranor solar-powered boat completed a 19-month voyage around the world. Now the eco-vessel is set to set sail again over the Atlantic Ocean in order to conduct experiments along the Gulf Stream in a project known as PlanetSolar...
- New Report Shows Startling Connection Between Slowing Gulf Stream and Rising Sea Levels on the East Coast
Photo via Shutterstock Scientists project that on average, the world’s oceans will rise about 3 feet by 2100, putting low-lying areas in danger, contaminating water supplies and undermining roads, airports, port facilities and power plants...
- Propagandist Brad Johnson of ‘Forecast the Facts’ tries to make the pending East Coast blizzard about the ocean ‘warming’ – Fails
You knew it was coming from shameless people like him. Unfortunately, Mr. Johnson doesn’t know the difference between what the Gulf Stream pattern looks like and the rest of the sea surface temperature. I had to laugh when he tweeted … Continue...
- Apocalypse maybe
Guest post by Matt Ridley My article in Wired in August called “Apocalypse Not” (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/ff_apocalypsenot/) attracted a huge number of comments, many of which were constructive and interesting. It also led to critical...
- Study shows the Arctic was much colder while Earth was warmer during Eemian warm period
Warm Climate – Cold Arctic? The Eemian is a poor analogue for current climate change 12.06.2012/Kiel. The Eemian interglacial period that began some 125,000 years ago is often used as a model for contemporary climate change. In the international...
- Titanic Anniversary: Unusual Climate + Extreme Ice Conditions = Tragic Accident
Guest Post by Dr. Tim Ball April 14th is the anniversary of Titanic‘s collision with an iceberg in the North Atlantic. The event occurred at 41° 46′ N and 50° 14′ W, almost the most southerly location on record (Figure … Continue reading...
Related Tags: weather, gulf streamSearch the Web for Gulf Stream
What is Gulf Stream?
Gulf Stream definition.
About Gulf Stream.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.