passive solar heating, definition of
- Passive Solar Heating
Passive solar heating is one of several design approaches collectively called passive solar
design. When properly combined, these strategies contribute to the heating, cooling, and day lighting of nearly any building. The types of buildings that benefit from the application of passive solar heating range from houses to large office facilities.
Passive solar heating typically involves:
- Solar energy collection through properly-oriented, south-facing windows.
- Storage of this energy by "thermal mass," which are building materials with high heat capacity such as concrete slabs, brick walls, or tile floors.
- Distribution of the stored solar energy back to the living space, as required, via the mechanisms of natural convection and radiation.
- Window specifications to allow higher solar heat gain coefficient for Solar facing glazing.
Passive solar heating systems do not have a high initial cost or long-term payback periods, both common with many active solar heating systems.
EcoWho Articles where 'passive solar heating' used:News & Blog articles where 'passive solar heating' used:
Another benefit to passive solar heating is increased comfort: if properly designed, passive solar buildings are bright and sunny and in tune with climate and nature. As a result, there are fewer fluctuations in temperature, resulting in a higher degree of temperature stability and thermal comfort
- C.F. Moller’s Saeby Strand Apartments Win Award for Outstanding Social Housing Development
C.F. Møller's Sæby Strand offers a wide range of apartments that feature natural materials, great accessibility and solar panels mounted on their roofs. Each of the volumes provides optimal views of the Kattegat seaside and provides light to every single
- Eco-Friendly Tinbeerwah House Rises on Steel Stilts in the Australian Bush
Though the Tinbeerwah House may be small in size, the three-bedroom abode more than makes up for it with its beautiful natural environment rich with the sounds of Kookaburras and the nearby creek...
- Leadenhall Building: London’s 224-Meter-Tall “Cheesegrater” Tower Reaches Full Height
Half of the curtain walling of “the cheesegrater” tower is now complete, with 51% of the structure already pre-leased to companies Aon and Amlin. The Leadenhall Building is owned by British Land and Oxford Properties and is the first UK project for...
- Team ABC’s Green-Roofed Sumbiosi Solar Decathlon House is a Low-Impact Bioclimatic Dwelling
Read the rest of Team ABC’s Green-Roofed Sumbiosi Solar Decathlon House is a Low-Impact Bioclimatic Dwelling Permalink | Add to del.icio.us | digg Post tags: Aquitaine Bordeaux Campus, Bioclimatic Architecture, Daylighting, eco design,...
- House Ocho Is a Green Roof Mountain Retreat Tucked Away in Carmel, California
Built into the side of a hill, the House Ocho in Carmel, California is a sustainable house offering breathtaking views. Designed by Feldman Architecture, a lush green roof was built on the top with the assistance of Paul Kephart, who was the mastermind...
- Modern Biophilic Sunroom Heats a 19th Century-Pittsburgh House
This nifty greenhouse and sun room sits atop a 19th century row house in the South Side Flats of Downtown Pittsburgh. While the sawtooth roof may look contemporary. studio d’ARC actually borrowed the profile from the building’s original greenhouse...
- Water Pumping Mill Transformed Into Self-Sustaining Residence
Read the rest of Water Pumping Mill Transformed Into Self-Sustaining Residencehttp://www.inhabitat.com/wp-admin/ohttp://www.inhabitat.com/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=better_feedptions-general.php?page=better_feed
Related Tags: passive solar, thermal massSearch the Web for Passive Solar Heating
What is passive solar heating?
passive solar heating definition.
About passive solar heating.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.