glacier, definition of
A multi-year surplus accumulation of snowfall in excess of snowmelt on land and resulting in a very large mass of ice.
EcoWho Articles where 'glacier' used:
News & Blog articles where 'glacier' used:
- What is Climate?
We ask: what is climate? and how we experience the climate effects how we think about it.
Search the Web for Glacier
- NASA finds cavity the size of Manhattan underneath Antarctic glacier
NASA just made a disturbing discovering underneath the Antarctic ice. A team led by the space agency found a huge cavity — around 1,000 feet high — under a glacier in Antarctica, and it is steadily expanding in size.[...]
- The largest fire in Greenland's history warns of an extreme future
The largest wildfire in Greenland's history burned bright last summer, a potential warning sign for a future rattled by catastrophic climate change. Scientists are concerned that Greenland's massive ice sheet may absorb the black carbon smog produced...
- Sheldon Chalet combines extreme engineering with luxury on North America's highest mountain
Sheldon Chalet is a cozy retreat perched on the flanks of North America’s highest mountain in Alaska. Set on Denali at 6,000 feet in elevation, the Sheldon Chalet offers views of breathtaking natural surroundings while enveloping its guest in a blanket...
- Snhetta unveils plans for worlds first energy-positive hotel in the Arctic Circle
Snøhetta just revealed designs for the world’s first energy-positive hotel in the Arctic Circle—an incredible proposal given the region’s below-freezing temperatures...
- Snhetta unveils designs for worlds first energy-positive hotel in the Arctic Circle
Snøhetta has revealed designs for the world’s first energy-positive hotel in the Arctic Circle—an incredible proposal given the region’s below-freezing temperatures...
- Scientists puzzle over subterranean heat melting Greenland's glaciers
Researchers have acquired evidence that heat emanating from deep below the Earth's surface is contributing to the meltdown of Greenland's glaciers. Though they have long suspected that a subterranean heat source was a factor in the melting glaciers, scientists...
- Meteorologist warns collapse of two Antarctic glaciers could flood every coastal city on Earth
Two of Antarctica's glaciers are holding our civilization hostage, meteorologist Eric Holthaus wrote in a piece for Grist. Pine Island and Thwaites are among the continent's biggest and fastest-melting glaciers, together holding back ice that could unleash...
- Only 25 glaciers remain in Montana's shrinking Glacier National Park
Our warming climate is ravaging the storied glaciers of Montana's Glacier National Park. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) and Portland State University recently released data revealing the devastation of climate change on the area over 50 years....
- Researchers want to save shrinking Swiss glacier with 4,000 snow machines
Climate change is shrinking the Morteratsch glacier in Switzerland by around 98 to 131 feet every single year. Scientists led by Johannes Oerlemans of Utrecht University think they have an answer: artificial snow. 4,000 snow machines could recycle water...
- NASA snaps worrying images of new crack in large Greenland glacier
One of Greenland's biggest glaciers could be in trouble. A Netherlands university professor pointed out a new chasm in the Petermann Glacier, as seen in satellite images. NASA's Operation IceBridge recently went over to check it out and captured photographs...
What is glacier?
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.