passive solar design, definition of
- Passive Solar Design
Passive Solar Design is undergoing a resurgence as more people not only recognise the comfort benefits and lower energy bills of solar architecture, but now see a way of helping reduce the polluting effects of green house
gases through less reliance on fossil fuels
for heating and cooling.
Basic house design principles include:
- Orientation of the main living areas towards the North (or South if in the Northern hemisphere)
- Glazing used to trap the warmth of the Sun.
- Thermal mass to store the heat from the Sun.
- Insulation to reduce heat loss or heat gain.
- Ventilation to capture cooling breezes.
EcoWho Articles where 'passive solar design' used:
A well designed solar home
should remain within 18 degrees C to 28 degrees C throughout the year and save 60% to 70% in average household heating costs.
EcoWho blog posts where 'passive solar design' used:
- Low Allergen Building Design
Low allergen design is a whole building approach that aims to reduce and avoid all known allergens, and to minimize the conditions in which they occur. This article shows you how.
Online tools where 'passive solar design' used:
- Passive Solar Design advice
Passive Solar design can be applied to existing buildings as well as new buildings. We explain some useful techniques and give links to useful resources.
News & Blog articles where 'passive solar design' used:
- Passive Solar Design Eaves Calculator
Works out the ideal Eave depth for a given height of window and world location; so the Sun comes in in Winter but not Summer, maximizing the passive solar effect.
- Central Park to undergo $150M LEED Gold-targeted redesign
To cap the Central Park Conservancy’s 40-year renewal of Central Park, the nonprofit has unveiled designs to update the park’s north end with a LEED Gold-targeted recreational facility, a new pool, skating rink and other amenities...
- A 1940s cottage is transformed into a solar-powered Hanok-inspired home
Portland-based collaborative design practice Woofter Architecture has recently completed the expansion and renovation of a 1940s cottage in Portland, Oregon...
- Near net-zero energy Helsinki Central Library boasts an award-winning, prefab design
Helsinki has entered a “new era of libraries” with the completion of Oodi, the Helsinki Central Library that not only serves as a new central point for the city’s public library network but also an award-winning public space with a movie theater,...
- MADs ethereal Yiwu Grand Theater will float on Zhejiang waters
Beijing-based architectural firm MAD Architects has won a competition for Zhejiang’s Yiwu Grand Theater with a proposal that’s stunning, sculptural and site-specific...
- Anderson Architecture revamps a dim heritage home into a modern sun-soaked abode
When Sydney-based design studio Anderson Architecture was asked to improve the livability of an old heritage home in the inner western Sydney suburb of Lewisham, the house suffered from a cold and dark indoor environment...
- Modern, self-sustaining home blends into a rocky landscape
Zagreb-based architectural office PROARH completed Issa Megaron, a family retreat in Croatia that’s disguised inside a rocky hillside with a zigzagging road...
- This breezy, green-roofed home in Singapore embraces nature from all angles
Whereas many modern buildings in Singapore rebel against the country’s tropical climate with air-conditioned, hermetic spaces, international architecture firm Guz Architects decided instead to embrace the natural environment in its design of the Willow...
- This beautiful Washington cabin meets net-zero targets even in extreme temperatures
Nestled in a historic mining area in Washington State’s Cascade Mountains, a holiday retreat offers luxurious comfort without compromising sustainability targets...
- Award-winning luxury townhouses boast energy-efficient, passive solar design
Melbourne Design Studios has dramatically transformed a row of townhouses in the historic, post-industrial neighborhood of Richmond, Melbourne. The six bespoke urban homes—named ‘No Two The Same’—are strikingly contemporary, with light-filled...
Related Tags: passive solar, green building, thermal mass, solar homesSearch the Web for Passive Solar Design
What is passive solar design?
passive solar design definition.
About passive solar design.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.