passive solar design, definition of
- Passive Solar Design
Passive Solar Design is undergoing a resurgence as more people not only recognise the comfort benefits and lower energy bills of solar architecture, but now see a way of helping reduce the polluting effects of green house
gases through less reliance on fossil fuels
for heating and cooling.
Basic house design principles include:
- Orientation of the main living areas towards the North (or South if in the Northern hemisphere)
- Glazing used to trap the warmth of the Sun.
- Thermal mass to store the heat from the Sun.
- Insulation to reduce heat loss or heat gain.
- Ventilation to capture cooling breezes.
EcoWho Articles where 'passive solar design' used:
A well designed solar home
should remain within 18 degrees C to 28 degrees C throughout the year and save 60% to 70% in average household heating costs.
EcoWho blog posts where 'passive solar design' used:
- Michael Jackson and his Green legacy
The King of Pop is dead - but what is his Green legacy? In this article we have a look at what he has really done for the world and its environment.
- Low Allergen Building Design
Low allergen design is a whole building approach that aims to reduce and avoid all known allergens, and to minimize the conditions in which they occur. This article shows you how.
- The importance of building orientation
Building orientation to the Sun is important to reduce energy consumption, keeping comfortable and saving money. This article explains how best to get building orientation correct. Through a combination of benefits and opportunities the correct building orientation could save you thousands.
- What is Passive Solar?
Passive solar building design is explained and how passive solar principals are used to design green homes and buildings, and save you money.
Online tools where 'passive solar design' used:
- Passive Solar Design advice
Passive Solar design can be applied to existing buildings as well as new buildings. We explain some useful techniques and give links to useful resources.
News & Blog articles where 'passive solar design' used:
- Passive Solar Design Eaves Calculator
Works out the ideal Eave depth for a given height of window and world location; so the Sun comes in in Winter but not Summer, maximizing the passive solar effect.
- Near net-zero energy Helsinki Central Library boasts an award-winning, prefab design
Helsinki has entered a “new era of libraries” with the completion of Oodi, the Helsinki Central Library that not only serves as a new central point for the city’s public library network but also an award-winning public space with a movie theater,...
- MADs ethereal Yiwu Grand Theater will float on Zhejiang waters
Beijing-based architectural firm MAD Architects has won a competition for Zhejiang’s Yiwu Grand Theater with a proposal that’s stunning, sculptural and site-specific...
- Anderson Architecture revamps a dim heritage home into a modern sun-soaked abode
When Sydney-based design studio Anderson Architecture was asked to improve the livability of an old heritage home in the inner western Sydney suburb of Lewisham, the house suffered from a cold and dark indoor environment...
- Modern, self-sustaining home blends into a rocky landscape
Zagreb-based architectural office PROARH completed Issa Megaron, a family retreat in Croatia that’s disguised inside a rocky hillside with a zigzagging road...
- This breezy, green-roofed home in Singapore embraces nature from all angles
Whereas many modern buildings in Singapore rebel against the country’s tropical climate with air-conditioned, hermetic spaces, international architecture firm Guz Architects decided instead to embrace the natural environment in its design of the Willow...
- This beautiful Washington cabin meets net-zero targets even in extreme temperatures
Nestled in a historic mining area in Washington State’s Cascade Mountains, a holiday retreat offers luxurious comfort without compromising sustainability targets...
- Award-winning luxury townhouses boast energy-efficient, passive solar design
Melbourne Design Studios has dramatically transformed a row of townhouses in the historic, post-industrial neighborhood of Richmond, Melbourne. The six bespoke urban homes—named ‘No Two The Same’—are strikingly contemporary, with light-filled...
- Escape to paradise in this nature-inspired surf hotel in Costa Rica
A beloved surfer hangout has been transformed into the stunning Gilded Iguana Hotel, a breezy and contemporary getaway that, despite its updated amenities, still exudes its original laid-back atmosphere...
- Energy-plus home is a beacon of sustainability in Tel Aviv
Israeli architecture firm Geotectura recently completed a striking modern home that can produce more energy than it needs. Located in Tel Aviv, the energy-plus home — called the Eco360 — combines traditional passive design principles with improved...
Related Tags: passive solar, green building, thermal mass, solar homesSearch the Web for Passive Solar Design
What is passive solar design?
passive solar design definition.
About passive solar design.
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.