recycling, definition of
- EcoWho Articles where 'recycling' used:EcoWho blog posts where 'recycling' used:
- Landfills May Be Greener Than Recycling, finds study
Recycling plastic bottles might not always be the most environmentally-friendly option for disposal, according to a study by an independent consultancy based near Zurich, Switzerland.
- 10:10 cut carbon emissions viral video nightmare
The 10:10 global campaign to cut global carbon emissions has demonstrated in a video they just pulled of their website (but has gone viral, so too late) exactly what they think of those who disagree with them...
- Royal Society acknowledges significant uncertainly in climate predictions
A recent report from UK Royal Society (layman's guide to the science of climate change) has actually acknowledged that there is significant uncertainly in future climate models and predictions.
- National Broadband Network - is it really Green?
How green is the National Broadband Network (NBN) and what are the alternatives?
- Solar Cells at the nanoscale
it appears that some recent research is promising to improve the efficiency of solar cell light capture by up to 12 times..
- It does look like the Sun influences climate after all
The idea that changes in the sun's activity can influence the climate is making a comeback, after years of scientific vilification, thanks to major advances in our understanding of the atmosphere.
- BBC calls for UN climate chief resignation
As reported by the BBC several environmentalists, UK MPs and scientists has called for the resignation of Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the UN’s climate science body.
- Yahoo's super efficient Data Center
Yahoo has been able to apply passive cooling and hydro-electricity to a data center to produce massive savings in power usage and environmental foot print.
- Reducing cows' methane production the natural way
It appears that oregano can actually reduce the methane 'emissions' a cow produces..
- Climate Disruption
Climate Disruption equals Climate Change equals Global Warming - the great global rebranding of AGW rolls on..
- WA Greens get evicted a Feedlot Operator for not believing in AGW
It appears in Western Australia that the Green's have no shame in wrecking a families livelihood because they expressed anti global warming opinions. This has resulted in the family been given 4 days notice of eviction.
- Passive Solar Design advice
Passive Solar design can be applied to existing buildings as well as new buildings. We explain some useful techniques and give links to useful resources.
- EarthCare Centre open day
The EarthCare Centre in Western Sydney is having an open day on Sustainable House Day
- Sustainable House Day on this weekend
Sustainable House Day 2010 in Australia is on this Sunday 12th September
- Forestry investments have all gone rotten
The Managed Investment Scheme (MIS) operators have all gone to the wall in Australia, we look at why and if they were actually green.
- Self-Assembling Solar Cells Recycle Themselves Repeatedly
MIT has been researching into creating natural cell like solar cells which are able to reassemble themselves and the research so far looks quite promising...
- Chicago Climate Exchange drops 50%, new record low
Basically, if it gets any lower it will be ZERO..
- IPCC must reform, recommends IAC
An independent review said the scientists who produce the periodic United Nations reports on climate change (IPCC) should be more open to alternative views, more transparent about their own possible conflicts of interest and more realistic in the reporting of the likelihood of climatic events.
- Alternative Solar Energy
Alternative Solar Energy - this phrase often creates images of hippies and flower power... We look at what it really means.
- US Thermal Solar Plant approved in California
California approves the first U.S. Thermal Solar Plant.
- solar power efficiency
What are the factors that are important in efficiently harvesting solar power - we look at what they are..
- Special Interest Groups
To make it easier to find information on certain important topics we have made a set of SIG's (Special Interest Groups)...
- New Rainwater harvesting calculator
This new calculator allows you to work out the practical tank size given average per month rainfall, your roof area and expected monthly water usage.
- More Efficient Solar Cells with Selenium
Researchers have discovered that just adding a minuscule quantity of 9% selenium with zinc oxide base radically improved the sun light absorbing efficiency of the material...
- Climate Change Policy in Australia
With an election just around the corner the politically sensitive issue of how Labour is to deal with Climate Change has been presented as policy today.
- GE Ecomagination Challenge $200m for good ideas
GE Ecomagination contest hopes to gather ideas for improving electrical grid technology.
- Call for tighter review of IPCC data
Prof Jean Palutikof, who spent 5 years at the British Met Office preparing the UN report, Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability, admitted the existing system was flawed because "quite a lot" of information had not been peer-reviewed by independent scientists before publication.
- IPCC conclusions fail under legal cross examination
A cross examination of global warming science conducted by the University of Pennsylvania’s Institute for Law and Economics has concluded that virtually every claim advanced by global warming proponents fails to stand up to scrutiny.
- new low cost solar cell tech - dye films
solar dye film cells will be available at a projected price of 3p per kw/h, a tenth of silicon cells.
- Give Curry to sheep and save the planet
Strange but true, feeding sheep curry could save the planet...
- Solar companies receive $2 billion
Two solar companies have been awarded nearly $2 billion in Recovery Act funding for solar projects in three states.
- New Square LED's more light directional
A new LED fabrication technique produces squares of LED's that are more directional.
- Best Solar Panels for home
We look at what are the best solar panels for home use
- Climatic Modelling - the problems with getting it right
Climatic Models are being used more and more to demonstrate human induced climate change is happening; we look at the problems with this.
- Solar Power Calculator Updated
Our solar power calculator has been updated..
- Gillard is in
Julia Gillard is in as the new PM of Australia, replacing Kevin Rudd; what does this mean for the Green Agenda?
- Insulation, how much do you need?
Working out how much insulation to install can be difficult, we show you how.
- Green Home Loan Calculator
A home loan calculator that allows you to also work out what you can do to be more green, and pay off your loan quicker as well.
- Quantum dot solar cells - is this the breakthrough?
Quantum Dot Photovoltaics look to be able to double solar electricity collection efficiency. Is this enough to improve the viability of solar power to be practical to more of the community and make it sustainable green?
- Buy Green Books and Products
We now have an online facility to purchase green books and products.
- Resource Super Profit Tax is Super Stupid
We look at the Resource Super Profit tax and show why it will not work as advertised.
- Climate Change: the ice is fine
Electromagnetic survey to measure ice thickness uncovers vast areas of resilient "old" ice in the Arctic; leading researcher concludes, "Any talk about tipping points, a sudden drop and no recovery ... I don't think it is going to happen."
- Keeping Cool in Summer
Keeping cool in Summer as always a challenge, we show you how to do it whilst being green.
- Wind Power, is it really Green?
Can wind power be considering a really green alternative energy source in its own right?
- Time to comment on the IPCC
The IPCC is awaiting your feedback, tell it as it is...
- A study: The temperature rise has caused the CO2 Increase, not the other way around
Differentiating the CO2 measurements over the last thirty years produces a pattern that matches the temperature anomaly measured by satellites in extreme detail. That this correlation includes El Niño years, and shows that the temperature rise is causing the rise in CO2, rather than the other way..
- Sustainable House Day 2010 in Australia
Sustainable House Day 2010 is on for Sunday 12th September 2010, we look at how this can help you been more sustainable.
- Sustainable House and Home
Sustainable housing, we look into what you need to do to make your house more green and sustainable.
- Passive Solar
Passive Solar is often banded around as a good thing to do to make your house more green; we look at it in more detail.
- Bilderberg 2010
Bilderberg 2010, a meeting you have never heard of, full of people you have never heard of - trying to manage the world without your say..
- Rain fall and rain harvesting calculator
A new calculator that uses some publicly available rain fall data to help work out your monthly rain fall and hence collectible rain water.
- Green Directory
New Green directory service on line.
- Architects held to be "Fit For Purpose"
Trade Practices Amendment (Australian Consumer Law) Bill (No. 2) 2010 will seek to remove an exception requiring Architects and Engineers to comply to a 'Fit for Purpose' warranty. We think this is a good thing.
Related Tags: recycling, reuseSearch the Web for Recycling
What is recycling?
Click on a letter to see all the terms and definitions that begin with that letter.
Android app containing all these definitions is now available, called the Green Dictionary
. Click here
to see the entry on the Android market; or click here
if on an Android phone.